Pages

Featured Posts

Archives

Links

Meta

MAMMAKAZE

Promote Your Page Too

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

Author: toni

~ 07/08/09

Well, the opinions are in! There is a sampling below. See what you think. My comments follow:

1. Dear Mammakaze: You might as well get the dog bed and biscuits ready cuz it is not a matter of IF you get a dog but WHEN you get a dog. As someone who has been “peeping through the windows” from 3,000 miles away Miss Julia will be a proud puppy owner. Allergy part – well “baby” Chauncey (who is a Yorkie) is on the list at the vet’s for a perfect companion for people with allergies. He gives unconditional love and has never torn up furniture. Well, now the sandal = that was my fault for leaving it lying around. It only happened once because Chauncey is a fast learner!!!! (all dogs like to chew! and don’t give them rawhide – terrible for their stomachs – use Nylabones). The only other recourse is move in Chauncey’s neighborhood and he could share his love with Miss Julia (which he would love) but since Daddy’s job is in LA, I guess that is out of the question. Only other alternative is – visit Chauncey OFTEN! I know he (along with his WV relatives) would love that!
Comment by MomofMaci

2. I think MomofMaci is probably right. Although personally I say hold out as long as you can. She “might” grow out of it. Do any of the neighbors have dogs you could just borrow for a few days at a time? They might enjoy the vacation.
Comment by tonyt

3. I think the solution to your problem is to ADOPT A SECOND CHILD. If you adopt one that is potty trained, you don’t have to worry about poop. You can take the child with you and maintain your “freedom” of being on the “go, go, go”. You won’t have to worry about your allergies. Yes, the costs will be greater than having a dog, and there may still be some destruction of private property, but it would definitely solve your lack of companionship problem for Julia. If that doesn’t sound appealing, perhaps you try dogsitting some friends’ dogs, as Tony suggested, and see how it goes.
Comment by Maureen

4. I’m here to hold the line with you. I, too have countless precious, Hallmark-card-worthy, guilt-inducing pictures of my children holding the fluffiest of puppies. We have resisted the pleas of both children who are no longer content with the Rubbermaid tub the size of a Volkswagen filled only of kitten and puppy stuffed animals.
Here’s the deal: We have allergies and we travel frequently. Put that together with the fact that I am not a fan of the potty pick-up, and there you have it. I’m fortunate that my in-laws have 4 dogs. They get their fill when we visit, but I still won’t be swayed.
Best of luck to you, my girl, and start putting away a little for vet school. I think that’s where my little animal lovers are headed…
Comment by mommymarchbanks

5. I can understand your reticence, especially if you are allergic, to getting a dog. However, as a dog lover myself, I vote for the dog. Yorkies don’t shed, so maybe a breed like that would be good for your allergies. If you have to give yourself shots in order to live in the same house/yard/space with a dog then no, but aside from that and the fact that you will be much poorer and your house and yard will never be quite as immaculate again, dogs give so much more than they take, and that love and companionship for Julia and for you and Randy is well worth all the costs and sacrifices combined. I cannot put it into words, but what a dog adds to your life is immeasurable and I believe it is a very good experience for a child to have growing up. Remember this quote, “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Siegal (b. 1934) And just think of the endless material you will have for your website!
Comment by snipperjo

6. The pet, the dog…ugh. Today started with me and Goldie taking a final trip to the vet. 14 years and now Goldie is no more.  That is a part you left out of your why nots. It was my son’s dog and she was a great!  Thanks for listening, Grayquill

7. Get the dog!!!!   xoxoxo comment by A.K.

8. It’s the family dog.   Let Randy the neatnik help with the poop scooping. Get the dog.  It’s a losing battle.  You have more important reasons for feeling guilt.  Don’t add no dog to the list. I wasn’t an only child.  I didn’t have a dog.  I didn’t miss it.
Comment by C.S.

9. I had two siblings AND imaginary friends.   My brother always had a dog in his family as an adult and my sister always has cats.  I still have no animals. Get the dog! Stop feeling guilty. I know this may not help you, but two of my friends have Maltese Terriers.  They are adorable small dogs and they do all their business on Paper in the house.   They love children and are happy to walk outside and sleep in her bed with her but they are paper trained.
Good luck.

10. Don’t do it. It’s like having a new baby in the house. It will consume your life. Advice courtesy of  P.C.

11. I say no. It’s too much work. Let Julia get her fix by playing with our dog. Advice courtesy of T.W.

12. I’m not a dog person. I vote no.  Advice courtesy of J

Well, there you have it. Responses were overwhelmingly IN FAVOR of the getting the dog. (Well, except for the one from Maureen suggesting I adopt child. Thanks, Maureen. Maybe you didn’t you read my post about ONLY CHILD GUILT.)  Also the YEA VOTES had more to say on the subject.

However, the responses AGAINST were pretty persuasive.

To make my guilt, confusion and mommy madness even worse, Randy the perfekt husband emails me THIS PHOTO today:

It’s a picture of his friend’s dog and her new pups. He says it’s “for Julia to enjoy”.  Is he kidding me?!? Does he NOT KNOW what this picture is? This is NOT simply a picture of ADORABLE, NEW and AVAILABLE PUPPIES…Nu-uh. No siree.

This is fuel for an already burning fire. The “puppy desire fire” that is BURNING in Julia. Right now that fire is the size of say, a CAMPFIRE. If I show her this picture it will flare to BURNING MAN proportions! And then MomoMaci will be right. We might just as well go out and buy the dog bed.

My head is SPINNING. You know how I feel right now? I mean, besides guilty. Doomed if I do, doomed if I don’t.

Outcome, soon to come. Thanks for your input. I guess.

Post tags:

3 COMMENTS »

1. AAAhhhhhhhhhh! I think Randy has moved to my side — Julia, sweetie –
    the DOG IS ON ITS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by MomofMaci — July 9, 2009 @ 6:54 am

2. Oh, dear- perhaps I am too late- but I have to try:

Dogs are another mouth to feed; a reason to go outside when you really, really don’t want to or have the time to; dogs are one more thing to take into account when you go away or when you have people over to your house; dogs are vectors for fleas and ticks; dogs either chew or lick your stuff, and I would not be happy with either scenario. Long after Julia has found friends and boys and lots of things to do and people to do them with- the dog will be there. Panting, farting, eating, pooping and needing to go outside.
    Sarah, bless her heart, asked about getting a dog, once- at the age of 7 or 8 (she is now an old woman of 9). When it was explained to her that you had to pick up the dog’s poop in a bag and throw it out yourself, she wrinkled her nose and said “Ew. Never mind.” And that was that.
    Guilt is the world’s WORST reason to do ANY thing.

Comment by babette40 — July 9, 2009 @ 10:51 pm

3. Ah guilt. So wrong and yet so much a part of life. And history. You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Guilt is the wrong reason to do anything. The dog decision has to be very thought out. And if I think for long enough, Julia might be gone away to college. Problem solved. Anyway, Julia does not seem deterred by poop…in theory. The next step is to have her actually clean the poop of a friend’s dog. And see how she stomachs it. Cuz if she ain’t scoopin’…no pup.

Comment by toni — July 10, 2009 @ 7:37 am